Amish forgiveness

August 22, 2011

Our babies had been caught by the same hands.

Those mothers had strained against and surrendered with birth to bring their babies into this world same as me.

During birth we are neither Amish or English….just mothers.

Our midwife was the same one. We both were vulnerable to the same hands.

Begging the same God to let our babies come out.
Loving our babies completely and bent in gratitude around the warm cries of our newborns.

I with my third child, a son…theirs with their daughters.

~

You feel it still when you pass through Nickel Mines. A place all of us went for the care of our unborn…forever now known for the death of
all
those
little girls.

Those little Amish girls…. those daughters with mothers.
Mothers who cried and begged God.
They begged God  again to let their babies come out once more.

Kept in that school.

The daughters clinging together not understanding the sadness and rage of a man they knew.

A man who knew them.

Who knew their mothers and the love she had for  her daughters.  A man who did business with their fathers, picking up the milk from the dairy farms.

I struggle with forgiveness about insults  hurled  to hurt my children?

I feel low when I pass through Nickel Mines.

I know those mothers have forgiven
so

much

more.

Forgiveness seems simple and a gift when you realize how hard some have had to struggle to get there.
Gladly I forgive.
Gladly we should all forgive.

Gladly I accept the gift given to me, to forgive others.

We have had a good example to follow.

Forgiveness comes easy when you look at the daughters of the mothers and remember.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~

Updated to add a

~Special Thank You to my Amish friends,

who sought out a computer today to read what I wrote. I am so humbled you would take time to visit me here in my little niche of the internet.  I am so grateful for your friendship to my husband and I.  When he said he was sending the link to  a few of you, I hoped you would know how thankful I am for your example and continuos friendship. Humbly ~T

1. August 22, 2011 9:19 am

i know! I felt the same thru traveling through going to the beach. I was just so sad at the love lost there. And I remember that they didn’t appear on the news they had a spokesperson say “we are saddened at this, but know God has a plan for everything and their hearts went out to the OTHER saddened Amish parents” wow.

2. August 22, 2011 10:12 am

Oh they took it a step further and took food to his wife. Amazing! Seeing the midwifes place reminded me how close we all really are.
    It’s such a sunny happy place, you pass by the church with the cheesy sayings and it always felt so happy…
    now everyone just thinks one thing….but then at least we are all reminded about forgiveness.

3. August 22, 2011 10:41 am

Beautiful post…I was just journaling this morning about forgiveness…the paths before us that we get to choose…one that leads to bitterness…one to healing forgiveness…this is the picture of the ugly beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing….
    Blessings~

• August 22, 2011 11:13 am

Thank you for complementing me.
      The Amish are so ahead of the game. We think of them as old school but truthfully they are so far ahead of us…because they know that without forgiveness a piece of us always lives back at that hurtful point… but once the choice of forgiveness has been made we can move forward, wHoly.

4. August 22, 2011 7:27 pm

This is such a powerful post. I have never been there but I saw a movie inspired by these events and it was so powerful. Forgiveness and a big faithful heart. We need more of that in this world.

• August 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Oh I had seen when they were promoting that movie…so it was good? That’s good I was worried it would have been silly an ignorant about the Amish. Glad to hear it was done well and inspiring.
      Thankyou for dropping by with your kind words.

• August 22, 2011 7:52 pm

It was really good. They “tweaked” some of the events but the majority of the events remained very true, to include the Amish’s concern with the wife. I was bawling by the time the movie ended.

And to answer your question, yes, the recipe would work as a crumble. I’ve had it! 😀

5. August 22, 2011 10:18 pm

What an amazing and powerful story of forgiveness. They can teach each of us so much. My heart goes out to each of them. Your photos are so sweet, so beautiful. Those precious children are adorable!

• August 23, 2011 8:26 am

Oh my goodness…thank you.
      Those kids are so cute they waved to us everytime.
      All dressed up in their Sunday best.

• September 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Are they waving or asking you not to photograph? For some reason I’m under the impression they don’t like to have their photos taken. I was in an Amish community, recently, and I wanted to take some photos but didn’t want to offend. The horses, the buggies, the bonnets: so charming, so simple in the wisest of ways. Thank you for this post. It’s in perfect harmony with Emily’s, today.

• September 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Good question. I have many Amish friends… and my husband has many as clients… That being said the original day I posted this my husband “okayed” it with some of his clients …who read it and gave us their blessing. So I think ,what they don’t like is the times where people are stopping them from going about their lives. I think it is offensive when people stop and treat them like side shows for their way of living.
        None have ever cared when our children have played together …or at each others farms and I have taken pictures.
        All amish children in buggies normally wave….in my experience.
        Hope that clears up any concern. Thanks for bringing it up.

6. September 14, 2011 12:09 pm

It is a holy thing when others teach us about forgiveness through example, through forgiving the greatest sin against our children. You have put it in poignant, stark perspective – that forgiving isn’t a cuddly, hand-clasping thing. It is a lancing of the heart to let the wound heal! Amazing, heart-changing post!

7. September 14, 2011 1:02 pm

this is so beautiful. this thing of forgiveness, so dreafully hard. lives lost, hearts broken, children taken away in all their light and innocence. if not for knowing a God who endures, this life would shatter.

8. September 15, 2011 6:20 pm

oh, so hard, so very hard….but beautifully told, friend.

9. September 16, 2011 12:52 pm

it seems i may be one who does not know the story of nickle mines, but i do know one (am living it out now) of how hard it is to forgive a greigious hurt. it calls us to be big (infinite, like God) and so small (infinite, like God). to truly die to our own self, sense of justice, and pain. it is hard. i am still learning (hence my own post you kindly commented on regarding trusting God’s love for me).

10. September 17, 2011 8:11 pm

beautifully shared… this is a powerful post with truth seeping throughout!!! thank you for sharing!