Praying the Green Beans.

October 18, 2011

On an overcast midmorning where plenty of workers are renovating in my house…. old broken shower going out… new tile going in…I escape.

All the hammering, and scraping all the  renovation questions mixed with homeschooling mixed with meals to be made, I figure the way to get solitude in chaos. I zip up her little baby coat and she, happy to get away from all the noise , grips her basket.  Eager to help I know she is the perfect accompaniment.

We walk out into the garden and duck under the tall trellis’.  Planted beans under the edges have grown past anything I anticipated….Scarlet Runner, tall pole green beans and purple beans criss cross , weaving and wrapping tightly to the metal.

She goes right to work… she has watched me and stood next to me in the garden all season long and through that relationship she knows the garden well.  She knows what to pick and what to leave.  She lifts the leaves excited to find the hidden “geenbeens”.

~

I leave her to her task and get to mine.  Praying as I pick… I need to hedge my prayer with determination and direction on a day where a million tiny details are demanding me to look every which way. Somedays demand you pray in a task to keep distractions from eating away at your prayer.  As each bean is released from it’s vine I pray a new prayer…

Pick…Lord give my children a day of Peaceful Learning…*pluck*

Pick…Guide my husband in his business decisions…*pluck*

Pick… Teach me what you would have me learn…*pluck*

Bowed low I continue picking and praying while gathering all the beans from the lower parts of the trellis.

Reaching well above my head …Hands held high…sometimes reaching on tiptoes…

Pick…Thank you for my family…our good health…*pluck*

Pick… Thank you for coming to my garden and speaking to me each day…*pluck*

Pick…Thank you for providing our needs …*pluck*

Pick…Thank you for bringing us through so much…*pluck*

Rain begins to drizzle and drop… but under the thick overgrown trellis we are sheltered.

The baby pleased with our basket brimming with prayer and praise starts to walk out into the rain… satisfied with all we have gathered.

~

Do you ever have those days, where you are so busy you can barely direct your prayer?  The days where your prayer doesn’t really feel like an offering but more of a voicemail?  What kind of things help you to overcome the distractions ?~T

Other posts about Directing and Concentrating in Prayer:
Still Being Still.
Pray.Bow.Walk

Here are some other posts about my Garden:
Local and Organic Cosmic Carrots.

Here is a little of both 🙂
You are growing.

1. October 18, 2011 9:41 am

Yes, I know those days!

• October 18, 2011 1:55 pm

oh I bet for sure you do…. with a whole classroom demanding your attention.

2. October 18, 2011 10:06 am

I think every mama knows days like these……

• October 18, 2011 1:55 pm

oh for sure.. but I think it’s important that we don’t let it take us off of the Path.
      We need to understand we are still on a spiritual path…while we do all the other things given to us.

3. October 18, 2011 10:18 am

When I read your blog I feel like I have spent time with you. I hear your words and I believe you. I won’t be picking beans off the vine today, but as I walk the Giant aisles I will be praying, and trying to do more than leave a voicemail as I pluck my choices off the shelf.

So I don’t have that second baby yet, but can I come over and just sit, and watch, and listen? I like you.

4. October 18, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi T – You left a comment on my blog 5minutesforthefrazzledmom.blogspot.com so I checked out yours. So beautiful. I love kids your daughter’s age!! I’ve got 3 teens – one a senior. You’ve really got a way with words. Every time I visit someone’s blog, I’m amazed at all the talent out there. Kudos for homeschooling and raising 7 kids!! – AND having your camera all the time! Makes me tired just thinking about it! God bless you!!!
    Cathy, The Frazzled Mom

• October 18, 2011 1:57 pm

oh you are funny…. it’s really not as hard as you would think (in theory)…
      Thank you for stopping by and saying such nice things.

5. October 18, 2011 5:08 pm

I love your prayers with each plucked bean… I do that when I pick apples!
    Thanks for the bit of serene sunshine. Feels warm on the soul!

• October 18, 2011 6:25 pm

oh funny.
      sometimes it is the only way to pray in a day.

• October 20, 2011 1:09 am

And your beans are just beautiful looking! How good God is to make these little seeds grow into something so useful ( His word growing in us is just like that)
        My Shoshi’s kids just planted beans last week in South Africa as I was picking the last of mine here in the interior of BC.
        They are 4 and 5 and planted every one! How exciting for them!

6. October 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Oh, that sweet little helper you have is sure distracting me! What a cutie. Love the way she helps. And your beans look so beautiful. Is there nothing more wonderful than produce picked fresh ? It gets me all excited. And what a wise momma you are to head out and create this deliberate pause. Lovely.

7. October 19, 2011 10:00 pm

This is lovely. I have often found that my prayers are best offered as I work with my hands. Thank you for the reminder.