Pukey Kid and how to handle it….a list.
After a full night of throwing up she spiked a fever. A high fever that made her so tired she didn’t even want to get dressed after a much needed bath.. She just laid there and barely spoke. With 7+ kids we slip into the routine pretty seamlessly around here.
For the whole tribe adults and children:
- Everyone sleeps with a bucket/container… regardless of how you feel…just in case.
- Everyone takes a probiotic… regardless of how you feel… just in case.
- Toilets are routinely bleached throughout the day.
For the digestively sick:
- Hair is braided back… which I must say is the poshest way to puke.
- Sick ones are quarantined… to their beds…not the living room.
- Towels are laid out , over the sheets and pillow of the sick one(s)…easier to change a towel than a whole bed at 3am.
- Drinks are served in tiny cups (think dentist cups or bathroom cups or shot glasses). That way they can just drink all of it… and none of the torture of saying, “just take a few sips”, because you remember being sick, you want to drink it all. Just give them exactly how much they should drink…and disposable cups work great because the germy cup goes right in the trash.
- Acceptable liquids are… Coconut water , Clear Sports Drink (both of which are more bang for your buck as they have electrolytes) and Ginger ale (in that order).
- Food is of the lowest priority for pukey kids…liquids are the highest.
- Sick kids must follow the B.R.A.T diet when it is time but so are pretzels, crackers or toast…a good 6-12 hours after last puke.
- If after they are obviously better but still gaggy and still susceptible to puking one dose of kids Kaopectate. Nothing else will do. Years ago I had a pediatrician tell me to give a dose after I couldn’t get my son to stop, even after he was clearly healthy he would just randomly puke. I have only had to use it one other time…worked like gangbusters.
~This is not medical advice… This is Momma advice. I am not a doctor. I am not even a nurse which I may think know way more than doctors… I am just a momma with 7 + kids. I have, however cleaned up way more puke in my years of being a momma than I would ever choose to do… and I have tried many things and advice that didn’t work…so that is where my qualification exists. I would love to hear what has worked for your family … however if you are here just to tell me that I am not a doctor…I am already aware of that… so you can rest assured I got the memo.
For other Momma advice please check out:
*Eucalyptus oil or How to get everyone to stop coughing and go to Sleep. (Which at this point has gone well over 1/2 million hits on Pinterest… and can I just say that I think that is craaaaaazy!)