Does she think I am a whore?

June 6, 2011

“How’d ya get a black haired one and a red haired one?” Asked the hard smoking older woman at the farm store. I raised my eyebrow as I hoisted the mare and foal feed onto the counter.
What was she asking? Was she asking if I dyed their hair….or if I was a whore… or what? What exactly was she wanting to find out here? Under normal circumstances I would have verbally tore her to ribbons… but this didn’t seem to be an even playing field. She seemed extremely ignorant of social do’s and dont’s, so I just blinked back at her ignorantly.
“Well ya have a red haired one and a blonde one…and then that girl has black hair.” This woman was like a super sleuth, nothing gets past her!
“Some of my children I have pushed out and others I have gone to the ends of the earth to bring back.” There. That was a safe and nice way of putting it, now ring me up lady!
“Where did ya get her,” she points a well manicured mauve thick nail at Mer.
Simple enough question, “Oh I went to Guatemala.” I sign on the line and start arranging the bags and feed back into the cart. I look up at her and wait for the receipt to fully print.
“Well don’t ya think we have enough of them already.”
My.
Jaw.
Dropped.
Both eyebrows went up. I looked like I had walked in on a surprise birthday party… all witty biting comments eluded me. I was so stunned and yet amused at her gall. I gave her one long up-and-down look and shook my head…
“No ma’am I didn’t.” I heaved the heavy cart forward, three beautiful children tagging along beside me.

(I think that qualifies as a time to use a pass on someone!)

1. June 7, 2011 5:54 am

Holy crap! I can not believe some people! Good for you for staying civil. You’re the best. 🙂

• June 7, 2011 12:23 pm

Hey Kya,
      is it an East Coast thing or are their people that ignorant in the paradise of New Zealand.

2. June 7, 2011 11:07 am

I can’t believe you bothered to call her ma’am.

3. June 7, 2011 1:09 pm

I would have added “I think we have enough rude, ignorant, white trash people here too but someone seems to keep you around.” DUECES.

4. June 10, 2011 4:15 pm

T,
    It never ceases to amaze me how unaware and narcissistic people can be. I probably would have said the same thing…because thankfully for my family (and me), I’m generally and sincerely a nice person, so to be “mean”, just doesn’t fit. It’s also not my job to educate/correct this lady on adoption society norms. I think ALL international adoptive parents struggle with the looks/confusion of a light skin colored parent and a dark complected child. Mostly this “struggle” for me is the inner voice screaming THIS IS MY CHILD, NOW RESPECT THEM AND ME…PLEASE! So mostly it’s my “triggers” that if I’m in a good place, help me to respond as you did. And gratefully, my 2 little blessings keep me focused on that good place and the gift I’ve been given by God. Peace.

Jeff

• June 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Jeff,
      Thanks for stopping by. We have really been blessed not to get too much guff from people about our kids. Tis one just took the cake,lol. I figure there really wasn’t anything I could have said to make her understand… And I didn’t want my daughter to pay attention to what was going on…so I figured that lady just wasn’t as blessed as me…sorry for her.
      Tee.