Storms A Comin! (prepping lists included)
If you don’t hear from us for a few days it is because we are straight in the path of this storm. I have to admit I wasn’t taking it very seriously. Friday as I stood in line at Costco I realized the guy in front of me had 6 cases of water ,a few maglites and a stack of battery packages… and then I turned around to see the guy behind me with two grocery carts full of just cases of water, perhaps something was really going to happen. I asked the cashier if it had been like this all day and he said, “yes we are completely sold out of generators too.” Currently my husband is out helping my grandparents “batten down their hatches” and other heavy lifting stuff. I admit, in this area , we really like to “hunker down” …and give us a whisper of a storm and we get all “hunkered”…I think that is why I didn’t really take it too seriously. I think of it this way; no ice, no snow…how bad can it be? Then I remember that tornado and at first I thought oh good all the dead trees have been pruned but shortly after I get all:…”Ohhh…Yikes! Batten down our hatches!!!! and secure the bee hives!” So with that said…and with the impending snow and ice season approaching…
Here is a list of somethings to do
- Always have a few cases of water on hand…just do it.
- Flash lights and batteries.
- always have propane in your grill
- prescriptions filled
If you have enough forewarning (like we have right now)
- Fill your bathtubs with water…to flush toilets when the electric goes out…trust you me, you will thank me.
- Make a pot of rice (not with chicken stock but with water… it really doesn’t need refrigerated right away and goes great with a can of beans). Make a cake while you are it…no refrigeration needed! 🙂
- Gas up the vehicles and the generator (if you have one)
- Put the flashlights somewhere easy… not in some cabinet that you will stub your toe while things rain down on you…right there on the dining room table is great.
- make a pot of your morning caffeinated beverage…nothing ruins your mini-apocalypse like a caffeine headache and stale is better than none…again, you will thank me!
- tell those kids to find the pieces to those board games…
- charge every iPad, iPhone and laptop….anything that can be charged, do it. Find phone chargers for the car so you can recharge.
- wash all your laundry
- throw a bag of ice into your freezer (or in our large family’s case: freezers) to help it if the electric goes out.
Some other things to do is call and make sure any older family members are set…which may mean you have to help them drag a small shed from one side of the property to the other…don’t ask what that has to do with storm prepping, I have no idea. We called and asked and that was what we were told to help do. (shrug) Call friends who may have recently moved here and make sure they are covered and are taking it seriously….ahem….you know who you are.
If you don’t hear from us Monday check twitter or instagram as I can do those from my phone. They are saying to expect to loose power…and it may be for 5 days! With 4-6 inches of water and tons of flooding (hopefully nothing like this flooding from last year)! Twenty five mile per hour winds with gusts well over 60mph. I am sure I missed something as I am busy about clearing our deck and moving horses into the barn…and putting bricks on the beehives which lost their tops during that tornado…..
After all the Pinning and publicity about this article (thank you all you wonderful readers!)… I have updated a new article for the winter. For our Winter Storm Prepping Lists….see the latest article.
*So if you have any handy hints please leave them in the comments.*