Christmas Cheat Sheet.
Okay real quick… since people think because I have 7kids and a social schedule I must know these things. Jokes on me.. 7kids and I am still flying by the seat of my pants. However I will say there are a few tried and true standbys when we get this close to Christmas….
Cookie Exchange or Need a Treat
- These are my very favorite “look at me aren’t I so hip, I bet you didn’t see these coming” cookie: Chocolate Black Pepper Cookie! Not only are they surprisingly delicious… you can keep the dough at the ready in the fridge. Another bonus it goes so well with coffee. I will bet if you show up with these everyone will be impressed with your cool cookie know how!
- Cacoa Covered Strawberries. These come together so quick… and who doesn’t love a covered strawberry?
- We made the kids fill these cute little lists out. We don’t go the Santa route.. but they liked being asked….and I like having a specific list. Amazon is still shipping and I have all my stuff coming well before Christmas..so you can nail this down.
- If you are my husband…look away right now! (Thanks Honey!) I found this awesome list of things for men… it’s over at the Art of Manliness and it is stellar. This guy is like my gift giving hero…great ideas! Which brings me to another point… ammo prices are going to go through the roof…so buy him a gift that can’t go wrong….and a box of skeet to go with it!
- Listen, I get the wanting to have your kids all adorable at peoples Christmas Parties… but can I say this… People are way more in love with you. Your kids are cute and all… but what people want is to hang with adults. And you are some of the best adults I have ever met…so really…don’t worry about what your kids are wearing. That said…here are a few ideas for cute kid shortcuts…. a solid turtleneck with statement pieces…a tutu and huge hair bow or a cute hat and vest … OR… buy them extra cute PJ’s and that will be very cute.. because again, it’s you your hosts want.
- side note: buy your kids extra shoes or at least check on the situation…nothing is more irritating than finding out you don’t have the right shoes…or socks or tights. So just put it on your list, now….you have been warned.
- another side note: Buy yourself a new outfit… all the money you saved on not getting those kids a new outfit…spend it on yourself…You are so cute and everyone is going to be talking to you…Plus you will have to get everyone ready. Won’t it be nice to just have a fresh outfit ready and waiting for you…. your welcome.
Having to bring something
- Brie and Bread (or crackers) is almost always welcome at any get together. Throw in a few luscious bunches of grapes and a nice platter and you are off to the races, lickity split.
- Bring Flowers… I can almost guarantee no one but you will think of this. If you do this bring them in a vase and ready to go…don’t be annoying and add another job to the hostess list.
- Well there are those Chocolate Black Pepper cookies.
- a smidge more time intensive but delicious.. my dear friend Emily brought Pineapple and Pomegranate to a Sunday Dinner and you would be amazed how wonderful that combo is…so try it.
- Of course Wine…. or Skinny Girl Cranberry.
Odds and Ends
- ABC Family channel has Christmas movies on every night.
- This is a great way to freshen up your average Christmas Decorations with Greenery.
- Hot cocoa and toast with a side of apple slices is a quick meal…don’t question it…what it lacks in nutrition it makes up in memories.
- All kids need new toothbrushes in their stockings…all of them.
- Hand Sanitizer..get it…use it.
- Little girls wearing cute buns in their hair at CandleLight services are smart girls…trust me…those candles light up ponytails fast.
- Keep to-go cups on hand… sending people out with warm beverages is like the best thing ever…for some it’s like their love language.